Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Legal and Ethical Issues

Personally I think that some information should be made available free to the public. I find most copyright laws annoying. Like scholarly journals and published books and things like that should be made available online for people who need it. I feel like if it was made for education purposes then students should be able to read it and see it for free and not have to pay for it. Thanks to open access some research is made available to universities as explained in the article, "Open access research grows in popularity", by Joseph Harvey. It says that "Open access research is becoming the prominent way to publish university research due to government pressure. Open access research, which is a push to make tax-funded research available to the public, is not new idea. However, it has gained attention due to recent federal pushes toward these types of results". Copyrighted material works a little different because its legally binding. In order to use copyrighted material you're supposed to be licensed to do so. Although people do it everyday even though it can be considered illegal. I think music and movies are the hardest ones to control. I hate having to pay for my music it was easier to get free music when I had an android phone but I feel like apple makes it alot harder to download "illegal" music. I think it should be free though, famous people get enough money out of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment