Monday, November 11, 2013

Privacy and Security

I think privacy on the Internet is something I worry about a lot. Nowadays technology is growing so much that you really have to wonder if anything is really private anymore. One of the articles that stood out to me was the one about a supposedly "private" picture that was said to have only been shared with friends but was seen by the public. The article " Facebook Privacy is so Confusing Even the Zukerberg Family Photo isn't Private" by Rebecca Greenfield addressed the problem that users have when posting pictures on social websites and whose actually seeing them. " The way Facebook works, friends of your friends tagged in a photo album also see the entire roll, unless you choose otherwise in the settings of the album posted. (It's not a universal setting.) The term "friends" in this album at right indicates my friends and all the friends of people tagged in the post. Changing that involves clicking "custom" and unchecking a box that reads "friends of those tagged." You have to go through extra measures to make sure people not on your friends list don't see your pictures, its not the default setting which is really strange. Personally I feel like if you're willingly to put any photo online then you understand that its gonna be out there forever and most likely seen by people you don't even know. Even people on your friends list can copy your photos and who knows what can happen with them from there. I think Randi Zukerberg made a big deal about her photo getting out to the public to be honest, she should at least know better if she didn't want the world to see it then it shouldn't have been put up. 

Another Article I read that I thought was interesting was "Self-driving Car are A Privacy Nightmare. And its Totally Worth it" by Timothy B. Lee. Ever since I was little I waited for the day where cars like this would exist! I don't think there's a major privacy issue I agree with the article. "The benefits of self-driving cars are likely to be so enormous that American consumers will sign up in droves, regardless of the privacy implications.We know this because American consumers have already enthusiastically adopted a technology that allows the government to track their every movement: the cellphone. To complete incoming calls, your cellphone company needs to know where you are at all times." I feel like if the government or someone really wanted to find me they wouldn't have that much trouble due to today's growth in technology. Some people are more naive and think they hide themselves so well but seriously if the government wanted to find you they will. If you have nothing to hide then you really have nothing to worry about. 

2 comments:

  1. Each individual should be very careful about what they post on the internet. You never know what could go wrong

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone should watch out what they decide to put on the internet. It is not our own little diary.

    ReplyDelete